How to take care of 925 Sterling silver jewellery:
We're here to show you that 925 silver jewellery care is easy, quick, and convenient. You just need to know the right tricks and techniques.
Preventive care and daily wearing tips :
- Wear it often:
Natural oils in your skin will help keep silver jewellery shiny. One of the easiest ways to prevent tarnish is to simply wear your silver jewellery often as opposed to letting it sit in a jewellery box unworn.
- Remove during household chores:
Contact with household chemicals, perspiration, rubber, chlorinated water, or any substances which contain sulfur (e.g., mayonnaise, mustard, onions, eggs, latex, wool), will cause corrosion and tarnish — so it’s a good idea to remove 925 silver jewellery, especially silver rings when doing household chores.
- Keep out of direct sunlight:
Direct sunlight also causes silver to tarnish, so be sure to take off your 925 silver jewellery before you go swimming and sunbathing.
- Put your jewellery on last:
For generations, women have been putting their jewellery on last and that’s for good reason! Lotions, makeups, hair spray, and perfumes will accelerate tarnishing.
HOW TO PROPERLY STORE YOUR SILVER JEWELRY
- Use an air-tight container:
Any container can be used to store your 925 silver jewellery, as long as it's air-tight. Zip-lock bags are great.
- Keep in a cool, dark place:
As mentioned earlier, sunlight, heat, and moisture accelerate tarnishing. Be sure to keep your silver jewellery in a cool, dark place.
- Store pieces individually:
Storing your pieces separately prevents any chance of Silver jewellery scratching or tangling with each other.
- Do not store in paper, cardboard, or cotton-filled boxes:
These boxes may contain traces of sulfur which will contribute to tarnishing.
PRODUCTS THAT HELP PREVENT TARNISH
There are a few other things you may try when looking for ways to prevent your sterling silver jewellery from tarnishing.
- Store jewellery with chalk: If you throw a few pieces of chalk in with your sterling silver jewellery, the chalk will absorb the moisture and help prevent tarnishing.
- Use silica packs: When you buy new clothes or shoes, sometimes you’ll find silica packs in with them. Hold onto these and toss them in your jewellery box. They’re great for absorbing moisture!
- Anti-tarnish cloths: Lining your jewellery box with anti-tarnish cloths is a great idea. These cloths absorb sulfur and moisture from the air and are usually chemically treated to prevent tarnish.
Remember that it’s easier to prevent tarnish than it is to remove it after it occurs. If you see tarnish beginning to form, be sure to clean it immediately. Following these steps will help keep your 925 sterling silver looking like new for years to come!